Today is the day! This afternoon a group of 10 young adults hit the road to NYC for a long weekend of service, fellowship and fun. I am extremely excited about what God has planned to do in and through the members of our team. I hope to get a chance to write a few short blog posts while in NYC, but in case that doesn’t happen, I’ve pre-scheduled blogs to post each day that explain a little of our plan for that day and share ways you can be praying for and getting involved in what is happening our trip. Thank you in advance for your prayers!
Our theme for the trip is “This is Church” and we’re focusing in on Romans 12 during our devotion times. In that passage we find reminders of how the church truly is about the people that comprise it and about each of us using our gifts and abilities to serve and share Christ. While ten of may have the opportunity this weekend to do this in NYC, each of you have the chance to do it in your own lives each and everyday. As we explore more of what it means to be the church, we invite you to do the same by using the devotion and prayer ideas below (new ones posted each day), which are similar to what we’ll be studying and praying each day. I can’t wait to see what God teaches all of us about what it means to be the Church.
Thanks again for your prayers and support! And don’t forget to check out the twitter feed on the right of the blog with the latest trip updates!
Thursday May 31 – Day 1
STUDY WITH US: Before our trip began, the missionaries were asked to read Romans 12 and reflect on the following questions. We invite you to do the same today.
- How is the church (the whole body of Christ around the world) described in these verses? How is this the same as or different from your current view of church?
- What might your role in the church be?
- What does sincere love look like?
PRAY WITH/FOR US: Please pray for these specific requests today in addition to whatever else God puts on your heart:
- Safe travel from Buffalo to Concordia Bronxville (where we will be staying each night)
- For each of the team members and whatever is on their hearts and minds: Alexa, Anna, Bekah, Ben, Jeremiah, John, Jon, Kristina, Megan, and Nate. Pray that God would work in our hearts as He works through them on this trip.
- That our team would enjoy the process of getting to know each other and learning how to work together.
- That God would use our devotion, prayer, and service times, both among the mission team and in each of you, to “be transformed by the renewing of [our] minds” so that we “will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will” on this trip and in our daily lives (Romans 12:2).
TAKE ACTION: Some of our missionaries have gone on more trips like this than they can count, while for others it’s a new experience and a HUGE step of faith. As you thank God for the courage they have to step up, pray that God would fill you with courage as well to do something that challenges you a little (or a lot) in your faith. Ask God to open your eyes today to a way you can step out in faith for His glory. Then take the courage you prayed up and do it!
We are praying for you as you are praying for us!